Allison’s Slow Cooker Tuscan Bean Soup
This is one of those recipes you come up with when you have very little food in the house and no time to go to the grocery store. It ended up being a success! Everyone in my family loved it and my husband kept going back for seconds and thirds. It is a very healthy soup to warm you up on those cold winter days. It makes a large batch, so you can either freeze some or have leftovers for the rest of the week. Grate fresh parmeggiano reggiano on top before serving.
- 1 1/2 cups dry cannellini beans
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 Tbs of fresh rosemary
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 1/2 butternut squash (app. 4 cups chopped)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tsp salt
- Soak beans overnight in 2 Tbs of apple cider vinegar
- In the morning, dice onion and sauté, with the oil, in a small sauce pan until onion is soft. Pour into slow cooker.
- Roughly chop the butternut squash (no need to chop small as it will soften and blend into the soup on its own), chop celery, and thinly slice cabbage.
- Place vegetables, rosemary, and beans in the slow cooker, add salt and bouillon cube. Pour in enough water to barely cover vegetables.
- Turn slow cooker on low and cook for 7-9 hours. Stir every couple of hours to make sure bouillon disintegrates well.
- Serve with crackers or Italian bread.