Funghi Mushroom Sauce
*Recipe taken from Graziella’s Tuscan Kitchen
In Tuscany during the fall, people are out every weekend searching the woods for fresh mushrooms. It is a favorite pastime for many families. Graziella and her late husband, Felice, used to enjoy making this sauce after a long day’s work of mushroom hunting. Clean the mushrooms with as little water as possible as they tend to absorb it. Pat them dry before cooking.
- ½ pound of mushrooms (any type)
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup of passata di pomodoro*
- ¼ cup do water
- 1 tsp of salt
- Pepper to taste
- Dice mushrooms. In a saucepan sauté garlic, red pepper flakes, and parsley in the oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft, stirring frequently.
- Add the passata di pomodoro and water and bring to boil. Once boiling, turn heat down low and cook for 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes and if the sauce becomes too dry then add a little warm water.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve with your favorite pasta or grain.
*passata di pomodoro is sold at specialty food stores, online, or at Whole Foods. It is usually called “Strained Tomatoes” and it is in a tall glass bottle.